Monday, May 14, 2007

darn it all

**WARNING: This post is about my "female problems".

apologies in advance to my neighbor, Mr.B who just LOVES when i post about this fun topic! you better skip this one!

so, today was my post-op appt. my doctor gave me my surgery notes which was neat and we talked about how things went and how things are going. apparently i have "pelvic congestion", a term for vericose veins in the uterus (oh yay, doesn't that sound lovely? not only can i look forward to getting those in my legs, i'm one of the ladies lucky enough to have these bad boys in my uterus! woo hoo!) i also most likely have a condition called adenomyosis, which is when where endometrial tissue infiltrates the muscular wall of the uterus. i found out about this the night before the appointment and i fit the symptoms: irregular bleeding, pain localized in uterus at times like early labor pains, back pain and pain radiating down my legs, enlarged and "boggy" uterus (it also said this on the surgery report i got a copy of, this is when the normally muscle-y uterus is squishy due to that endometrial tissue in there), childbirth or "trauma" to the uterus can contribute to it. my doctor agrees that i have this but as he said and as everything i've read about it, the only way to both diagnose and treat this is with a hysterectomy. i don't care so much about the diagnosis so much as treating this stuff. i'm just not sure what to think about it all.

and on top of it all, i'm still bleeding. three weeks past surgery. surgery that removed all the stuff that was supposedly causing my bleeding. and i'm still taking my trusty birth control pill, ironically taking this pill to help "regulate" my periods. what a joke. it's been 13 weeks and i'm feeling like a leaky faucet (and no "hey, it's a good thing your husband is a plumber!" jokes!)

my doctor is going to switch me to a different pill but really, is anything going to change? i'm sure he doesn't want to say the "H" word. prompting a young woman of childbearing years to think about removing her uterus is a big deal and with how things are nowadays, i'm sure he's reluctant to go there.....but in the meantime i don't know what's going to happen. and i don't know if we want more kids. or maybe we do. maybe i want to be pregnant again. maybe we want to adopt. maybe i want to stop feeling discomfort and pain all the time. maybe i've always said i'd never do anything permanent to effect my fertility. hmmmmm....lots of maybes.

so that was my day monday. ironically this followed mother's day. but hey, at least the weather has been nice!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Joanna for the warning.

Mr. B.

9:49 AM  
Blogger joanna said...

no problem :) it's not exactly "man-friendly" talk around here, is it?

doesn't the word uterus just make you squirm??

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. B thought it was so cool he was "recognized" in your blog!!

Mrs. B

9:47 AM  
Blogger joanna said...

hee hee, i thought it was cool he commented!

poor guy seemed a little skeeved out by the whole thing, seemed only fair to give him a disclaimer!

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Health Care Management MBA
Health Care Management MBA
Online MBA
Online MBA