Monday, June 16, 2008

i have new party trick!

i had a fun morning at the e.r. today. everything is completely fine--me, the baby, everyone. i woke up this morning to a gushing nosebleed. i managed to only get one drop on our comforter but i was coated in it and our bathroom looked like a battle scene as i scrambled to get toilet paper and stop the bleeding. i never got nosebleeds as a kid, only as an adult has it happened & i know that with pregnancy it can be more common & there's increased blood flow. luckily aaron hadn't left for work yet & i sat pinching my nose hoping that the kids wouldn't wake up to find mom covered in blood. it was flowing pretty heavy & out of both nostrils which was something new but it didn't seem odd until blood started coming out of my eye. tell that to patient advisory & they recommend you get to the e.r. pretty quickly.

the best thing about the e.r. was that after half an hour of alternating hands to squeeze the bridge of my nose tightly, they rig this contraption out of tongue depressors so that it pinches your nose for you. awesome. then my arms didn't hurt anymore. it looks absolutely ridiculous & of course i got aaron to take a picture of me with my nose pincher on. the rest of the visit was pretty uneventful, baby's heartrate was fine, the doctor was awesome, my bloodwork came back normal for clotting problems, etc. i told him i really wasn't concerned about bleeding out of my eye as the blood was flowing so hard and my pinching it off at the nose was forcing it out somewhere else & he concurred, it's all connected, even relating the dave letterman stupid human trick guy who could squirt milk out of his eye---something i think i could do too! for the past year or so, whenever i get a cold & blow my nose, i've had to squeeze my left eye shut or press against it because the pressure is released out of my eye. sometimes it even bubbles. are you totally grossed out yet?

so, this will be the most expensive nosebleed i've had. i'm just glad that everything turned out just fine & maybe one of these days i can post a video of myself shooting milk out of my eye. or not.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Liza said...

Yikes! So what are you supposed to do if this happens again? Did they teach you how to make that fancy tongue depressor contraption yourself?

8:42 PM  
Blogger joanna said...

you know, i have no idea. i'm hoping it doesn't happen again, it had been a while since i'd had a nosebleed & i wasn't pregnant when it had happened. this one was pretty heavy though & i'm supposed to have my g.p. run some other tests. apparently, the doctor has seen an increased number of people with bleeding/clotting issues who grew up in this area than other places-isn't that bizarre?

darn, i don't know how to rig one of those things, but i did take the one they gave me! and don't worry, it's not icky!

hope you and the boys are doing well!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

So.....where's the picture?!?!?!?!

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Health Care Management MBA
Health Care Management MBA
Online MBA
Online MBA